Monday, May 21, 2012

Overheard

We were getting ready to go to birthday party. One of Louis’ BEST friends! He had finally picked out what he was going to wear when he went to his brother’s room and I heard this conversation.


Sam: Why are you wearing socks with sandals?

Louis: Cause I want to.

* Here is where I wanted to stomp into the bedroom and say take the socks off and wear the sandals or take the sandals off and wear some shoes.

Sam: People are going to laugh at you.

Louis: I like it when people laugh.

Sam: Yeah but they will laugh at you.

Louis: So what. I’ll laugh with them.

Sam: You mean you don’t care?

Louis: Why would I care if they don’t like my socks and sandals?

In that one conversation I realized that my son had grown up. He still has a long way to go, but he knows how to laugh at himself, something that some adults still can’t do. He has his own… own-ness and I am so proud of him for that.

After hearing this conversation I knew I couldn’t tell him to choose the socks or sandals, even though I was cringing on the inside. I was too excited for him. After heading downstairs and bubbling with Momma pride. I noticed that his sandals were on the wrong feet. He may have adult views but he is still five.

No comments:

Post a Comment