Thursday, May 24, 2012

31 THINGS | DAY EIGHT

Transportation

Growing up my siblings and I learned how to drive… on different types of vehicles. We started out learning on a truck, cars, manual trucks, trucks with wagons, double decker buses, trucks with a caboose, trucks with hay trailers; the list goes on and on. We grew up in the country so it wasn’t uncommon for us to drive down the road to the river and practice driving.

I got my driver’s license when I was 16. This was more of a task than what I thought it was going to be. I had to take the written test THREE times. I’m not a good test taker. When I took the driving test they didn’t pass me because “I am too confident a driver”. When they told my Mom and I that we didn’t really know what that meant I needed to work on. On the second driving test I passed and had one of the worst pictures taken of me for my license.

My parents didn’t give me a car, Something I was dreadfully ashamed of then. Now, as a parent, I respect that decision. So I borrowed my Mom’s car, a Volvo. When I moved away to college all the transportation that I had was walking. It was the Oregon coast, no complaints. When I transferred to Hawaii Pacific University I bought my first truck. Ford F-150, cherry red, Mickey-T rims. It was beautiful! Someday I will get another one.

These days I drive a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. For about a year we were a one car family, something that was a blessing and just so annoying all at the same time. The Jeep fits the whole family and is wonderful to drive. Hopefully we will have it around when the boys need a car to learn on.

No comments:

Post a Comment