Jewelery
The Start…
I always wanted to be a girly jewelry wearing girl. I did try… I still do try. My Mom and Grandma never really wore any jewelry. I remember looking through Avon catalogs with both my Mom and Grandma thinking about how great that necklace or ring would look with this outfit or that shirt. The first time I got to order something out of the Avon book… It was like a rite of passage. I was in the BIG times now. I still have that ring. It’s silver with green crushed rocks on the side of a blue stone. I’m not going to lie I think I wore it only a handful of times. But that’s where it all started. I still try to wear jewelry. I mix it up every now and then. Usually though my jewelry wearing consists of my wedding ring, earrings and toe rings; anything more than that and you’ll know that I’m trying to be fancy.
Rings…
My wedding ring symbolizes so very much to me; the love that my husband has for me, the start of our new lives together, the hard work that went behind getting it and let’s face it, the absolute beauty of it as well. It’s something that my husband picked out by himself. He surprised me with it on my birthday. When I don’t have it on, I feel naked. I have other rings that I have gotten to remember special times. But my wedding ring, it’s a piece of me now.
Earrings…
I begged and pleaded with my Mom to have my ears pierced. I was 11 when she finally let me do it. Two shinny diamond studs. That’s what I still wear today. I have gotten a second piercing and I wear studs in them too. I change them for special occasions to dangly shiny earrings. Something that I thought I would never be able to do with kids. They are getting older now and know not to yank on them… most of the time.
Toe rings…
Three stackable toe rings. Yes. I said it, I have toe rings. Two of them are skinny bands. The third is a thicker band with ocean waves engraved. I got them when I lived in Hawaii and I love them. I wear them ALL the time.
Bracelet…
One of the sweetest Christmas gifts that my husband has gotten me is my charm bracelet. My husband picked three charms, one charm for each of our boys; a silver penguin for Samual, a silver car for Louis and a silver Buddha for Rian. The thought that he put into picking out just what one to get means so much to me. Over the holidays and years I have gotten more charms. Each time the boys ask me what each charm means it puts a smile on my face. Knowing that behind each charm is a story, a smile, and a laugh.
Necklaces…
On December 26, 1946 Pete, 27, gave 25 year old Wanita a strand of freshwater pearls. The clasp made of gold, the pearls nearest the clasp small but growing in size toward the middle of the necklace. The cream-golden colored, precious gem necklace was given to Wanita as a wedding gift from her soon to be husband on their wedding day.
Pete and Wanita were my Grandparents. They had one of the sweetest marriages I have EVER seen. They had the marriage that little girls dream about having one day. Grandpa was my Grandma’s prince charming. This is not to say that they didn’t have their ups and downs or hard times. They had each other though, one of the most pure things, just like that necklace that Gramps had given Grandma on their wedding day.
In 2005 my Grandma and Gramps gave me that necklace. It’s something that I treasure so very dearly. I take it out only for very special occasions. My Momma wore it to my wedding. When I do wear it, it makes me feel close to them. I know they are smiling down on all of our family. But in that brief second of taking it out of the silk pouch that it’s kept in, I remember when my Grandma put it in my hands, my Gramps smiling at me when I put it on. Sure I have other necklaces that I wear for this and that. Like my rings some are for very special times. This necklace from my Grandparents is a lasting memory that I will never forget.

No comments:
Post a Comment