I'm joining in on Lisa-Jo Baker's Five Minute Friday. The rules are pretty simple. One word. Five minutes of writing. No editing.
Song
We would go for a ride by the river. I'm not positive what the street name was but we would say we called it River Rd. Maybe that's right, I don't know. We would put the windows down, and listen. Quietly Mom would start humming. Sometimes you would barely be able to hear her. You would catch just a touch of it. The combination of her humming and the beauty that was passing by was intoxicating. I never wanted it to end.
I rocked my babies to sleep. The rhythm of the rocker and it's creaking noise always soothed me. Even if it was at the middle of the night. Samual would always fuss until I started to hum. It might have been the combination of the milk sleep and the humming but the humming always stopped his cries. Louis wouldn't go to sleep without my song. First loud and fast then gradually slow and quiet. Rian always wanted me to rub his back while I sang to him. It was always the same tune.
Gram was sick. We sat with her day and night. We knew her time with us was limited. There isn't much that you want or can say. The suffering, pain and hurt in everyone's eyes. No one could leave. She was always there for us and I think in a small way this was us returning that love, coming to be there for her. The nights were hard, so sleepless. My Momma asked me to sing her a song. I only have one song. The one that my Momma hummed to me. The one that I soothed my children with. Then I cried and hummed and sang that same song to sooth my Momma and my Gram.

I linked-up right after you :) What precious memories! What song did you hum?
ReplyDeleteToo-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral by Bing Crosby
Delete:)
I was reading this thinking the same as Katlyn- what song is it??
ReplyDeleteMy middle son has always been able to be soothed by my singing "Jesus Loves Me" to him! He's 5 years old and it still calms him like it did when he was a baby! I love how music can be so comforting!
Music is such a comfort. I sing 'Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral' by Bing Crosby.
DeleteWhat a beautiful post!! What memories you have from a simple song.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully sad. What a precious memory.
ReplyDelete