Thursday, May 23, 2013

School days



You ever have one of those mornings you wake up and you just can't get the teary eye emotion out of you. Hello Thursday! Tomorrow is Samual and Louis' last day of school. Samual is moving on to second grade and Louis is moving on to first grade. Rian has a class graduation coming up. Sigh. My boys. When did this happen, all this growing up?

I remember every single year the first day of school my Momma would cry. We would all roll our eyes and tell her to stop, "It's not a big deal it's just school for pete's sake". Now I'm the Momma. Even writting that makes a little tear well up. My boys are heading off to school.

I braved through the first day of school... well. I don't know if I should say brave per say. I know that I pestered the poo out of my husband and co-workers in complete worry. The what if... what if he doesn't know what class to go to? What if he gets lost on the bus? What if he doesn't make the bus? The list went on and on. I had to stop myself from calling the school multiple times. I am ashamed to say that I did give in and made one phone call. The same happened the next year when we sent our second son to school. The what if game was a little more intense.

Now we have a few years under our belt. The first day still brings worry and I do shed a tear every year. The thing that gets me the most though is the end of the year. That last day. To see how much they have grown, not just physically, but intellectually. To see how on the first day they weren't too sure about who to sit with at lunch. Now they have stories upon stories of all their friends at school.

Yesterday I got their class schedule for summer school. Summer school is not like what it was when we were kids by the way. It's a cool thing to go to. You aren't in trouble. There are cool classes that you get to take. You get rewards on your attendance. It was the first few sentences that weighed on me. Samual's second grade agenda. Louis' first grade agenda. Whoa. 

Today they take their yearbooks in to get signed by all their friends and teachers. Tonight we are going to work on a thank you card to their teachers. I'm not sure how to really say thank you. How do you tell a teacher thank you for all that they did. Caring everyday for my child. Teaching them what they need to know. Allowing them to tell their silly stories. Laughing with them and standing by them when they needed them to. Thank you teacher. Thank you for everyday that you taught, not just the curriculum, but the everyday as well.

So to the school year of 2012-2013, I say farewell with tissue in hand.

2 comments:

  1. The end of the school year is so bittersweet. I love summer because my boys are all mine again, but it marks the passing another year, a major growth for my babies, and a moment in time we will never get back.
    I am still working on a way to freeze time for even just a few days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would gladly donate to the fund of trying to find a way to freeze time. Right there with you Ms Sally.

      Delete