Friday, May 3, 2013

Brave

I'm joining in on Lisa-Jo Baker's Five Minute Friday. The rules are pretty simple. One word. Five minutes of writing. No editing.

Brave 

Brave: Merriam-Webster 
having or showing courage

About a year ago I met some amazing people at Camp Opportunity. 

When I think of bravery I think of everyone involved in this camp. The men and women that spend all year round getting everything together to make this camp happen. The men that lead the camp. The men and women that are part of the staff. The volunteers that assist throughout the week, stopping by and saying a prayer. The counselors that volunteer their week, opening their hearts to their camper. All of them taking all they have and putting it into one week. The emotional, physical exhaustion.

I think of the children that come to the camp. The bravery that they must show everyday in their lives. The bravery that they show at this camp. The pretend smile that they come with that gradual turns into a real smile. I think of the talent show that the kids do. The bravery that it takes for each child to get up in front of all the other campers. They sing, they dance, they tell jokes, they french braid hair, they are brave. 

Brave is an abused and neglected child opening their heart to love and accepting love from a counselor.  

This camp means so much to sooo many... find out more about Camp Opportunity at campokc.org. :)

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think kids are braver than adults!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back and read your story on camp O. Wow. What an amazing experience. Those children live bravely every day. Thanks so much for sharing. I was blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went back and read about Camp too...so thankful there are places like these for kids to come and know they are loved. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete