I'm joining in on Lisa-Jo Baker's Five Minute Friday. The rules are pretty simple. One word. Five minutes of writing. No editing.
View
I let the my emotions take over yesterday and put a somewhat vague status up on Facebook. It went to the tune of...
"It's
like this. I have my opinion. You have yours. Sometimes they match.
Sometimes they don't. When they do, great. When they don't, great.
Different opinions get us to talk, get us to share our thinking,
different views. However do not assume that because we do not agree that
you are right and I am wrong. Do not assume that by yelling over me
that you are smarter. Bad move sir. BAD move."
No, the sir is not my husband. Yes, we have different opinions on different topics. We respect each other enough to hear each other out... most of the time : P Seriously though. I do understand that we are all passionate about certain topics. So yes, I do get that there will be heated topics out there.
An example... hmmm.... let's see... we could go with one that strikes the fire in me (people using the r-word). Let's keep it simple though. You like the color blue and I like the color green. There might be reasoning behind it, I like green because University of Oregon's color. You like blue because it's Boise State's color. We might disagree on what team is better, Go Ducks. We might joke about who has a better winning streak, Ducks. We might talk about who has snazzier uniforms, Go Ducks.
The fact is, we all have different ideas, different views. We need to stop and listen to what others have to say. Maybe you hear something that you've never thought of before. Maybe you don't. Maybe listening to the other person's view makes you even sturdier in your view. Maybe it doesn't.
My point in all this ranting though, don't forget the golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you want to be listened to on your view, listen to the others. If you want to have your view taken seriously, take others seriously too.
Unless they like Boise State.... that blue field is terrible. :)
Keep calm and Quack on!
Love your view. Let us honor one another. See beyond finite views into the truth that we are alllllll made of the same stuff.
ReplyDeleteYes; are you ready for this? Even the blue boys!
Creating a culture of honor is so important. But so difficult. Thanks for sharing! Here from FMF. http://maryhess.com/five-minute-friday-view/
ReplyDeleteYes, this is so true. Our different views in the end is not what is important! What is important and lasting is how gracious and loving we can differ from one another!
ReplyDeleteHappy FMF
Mia
Enjoyed your view.
ReplyDeleteI love this post - just because we disagree doesn't mean one of us has to be wrong. :) Thanks for sharing your view! ;)
ReplyDelete