Monday, June 4, 2012

31 THINGS | DAY EIGHTEEN

Shoes

As a kid I remember only ever wearing jelly shoes. They were these plastic sandals that came in every color and style. My personal favorite was the silver. The covered your foot and had a strap that fastened around your ankle. They made your feet STINK, especially when you were playing at the park.

As I got older I realized that of the three women in my family, my feet are the largest. As in the longest, I have my Gramps' very narrow foot. My Mom and older sister have smaller feet than I do. This used to really bother me, a lot. I would only wear shoes that made my feet look smaller. I would NEVER let anyone look at my feet. Socks were always a must. The thought of getting a pedicure, no, just no, that would never happen.

I visited some friends that lived in Hawaii. They taught me the custom of taking my shoes off before going into a home. I was terrified. Until I realized… it didn’t matter. Feet are feet. I bought my first pair of slippers aka flip-flops. My feet were free and happy.

For many years after that I lived at the beach. I lived in slippers, until I moved to the Midwest. My shoe collection consisted of entirely slippers when I moved out to the Midwest. I went through a few winters before I finally gave in and got shoes.

Now I have an overabundance of shoes. Shoes are in the basement, shoes in the closet, and shoes in the hall closet. I have short ones, tall ones, flat ones, black ones, brown ones and green ones. I have different styles of Zumba shoes, tennis shoes, boots, Cowboy boots, gladiator sandals, slippers. The list goes on and on.

I always have this goal of going through my shoes and giving some away. It never happens though. I am constantly buying new slippers.

My current favorite shoes:
-My wedding sandals (in picture). They are gladiator, shell-esk.
-Slippers. Zebra print with hot pink strap.
-Brown Cowboy boots.
-Criss cross full Crocs


To be honest though, I’d rather not wear any shoes. I mean a public restroom, yes, wear shoes. At home or in the back yard, no, I don’t want to wear shoes. I like the feel of grass on my feet. I like to feel the hardwood floors that we have in our home. I like to look at my toes with nail polish and know that I have come a long way.


No comments:

Post a Comment