Friday, September 27, 2013

True

I'm joining in on Lisa-Jo baker's 'Five Minute Friday'.
The rules are pretty simple. One word. Five minutes of writing. No editing.



Truth. I had popcorn for lunch yesterday. Straight up movie theater butter, in the microwave, popcorn. There weren't any kids around, meaning I actually had more than five pieces before it was all gone. No movies. Just popcorn.

Truth. I dislike the way popcorn feels on my fingers. That's a lie. I dislike how lots of foods feel in my hands. I live in the Midwest you know what's big out here, BBQ. Take for instance BBQ wings, okay, first there is the mess of the dripping sauce that is now sticky not just all over your fingers but on your face too! Then you have to awkwardly nibble around a bone, while your hair is getting smothered in sauce as well. Long hair problem 101.

Truth. I have a horrible relationship with food.

Truth. It started when I was young, 10. I dressed up in a new outfit that I was so proud of and a family member told me how big (not in a grown up way) I looked. It went down hill from there. That same person started pointing out how much I ate at buffets (example one as to why I HATE buffets).

Truth. I battle with weight, my figure, my looks. Every. Single. Day.

Truth. In middle school I was disgusted with myself that I hit triple digits on the scale.

Truth. In high school is when it was the worst for me. I bounced from 110 to 115. I'm not short not tall but at 5'8", the doctors started asking questions. That made me so ashamed.

Truth. When I think of me as an adult, I would have never guessed that I would still allow myself to be haunted by this but in truth I am. I have a better idea of when to mentally shake myself to stop. I do not allow myself to own a scale. I've made healthier choices, lifestyle and am proud... most days, of where I am.

Truth. Life leaves scars. Maybe, just maybe we shouldn't hide them. Maybe we should be unapologetically proud of them. Each and every scar. Maybe we should let the truth of them shine.


Truth. I have been debating if I should erase this whole thing and give a cute little post instead... BE BRAVE!

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your "true" post. Following from FMF. I too battled with my weight since childhood. I was gullible and taken in by the misconceptions about body image and other people's opinions. I appreciated your honesty. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very real, very brave post. I totally understand, and those scars stay with us. And I do try to hide them at times, and you have just shown me that I can be brave and not hide them. They are a part of me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you did NOT erase.
    Great post!
    Sometimes after I write a vulnerable post I experience warm waves of embarrassment wash over me for randomly the next few days! I will refuse to even check for comments. And when I do I am annoyed at those who do comment/and all those who did not. What a messed up lot we woman are.
    Cheers to being brave!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post! I too have battled and still continue to battle with my weight. Yes scars are real and we shouldn't try to cover them up but allow them to heal... some scars have healed and yet others haven't leaving wounds open. Yes be brave and continue to be brave because that is the "TRUE" you!!!! Be blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from FMF. Thanks for sharing your true thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you didn't delete this! I'm visiting from FMF and I've had a love/hate relationship with food all of my life. The scars of life are like badges from battle. I'm glad you shared them with us, because you are surely not alone in your battle with your weight and appearance. Imagine life without having to think about that at all? I know I can't! :)

    ReplyDelete