I'm joining in on Lisa-Jo baker's 'Five Minute Friday'.
The rules are pretty simple. One word. Five minutes of writing. No editing.
Last year I competed in my first triathlon. It was this random, pushed into, spectacular event. It started out as a yeah sure I'll do it. Then burst into this HUGE life, heart altering thing.
After becoming a Momma my main source of getting out for me wasn't really on my priority list. That means my physical activity was pretty much chasing my kiddos around. When the opportunity to compete in a triathlon presented its self... I literally laughed. Me. Swimming. Me. Biking. Me. Running. Any one of those events to compete in was just, well, laughable. Then it hit me. I needed to do this, for me. I needed a fresh me. And so it began.
I told my hubby, brother, aunt and a close friend. It was on a need to know basis. Honestly it was because I didn't want to hear anyone laugh at me. Or tell me I couldn't do it because at that point I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it either.
My aunt took me under her triathlon competing wing. Explaining brick training, the essentials to pack, she was the force behind it.
The months of preparation led up to an early morning panic. I wasn't ready. These ladies were by far better competitors than I was. That's when I realized. I need to finish this. I was standing in the midst of 1300 other women on the edge of a lake.
The mantra started as I dove into the lake turning around the first buoy. Just keep on swimming. Then I was on the bank running to my bike. Just keep on biking. Dismounting and getting my running gear. Just keep on running.
Just finish.
That's all I could think. Just finish this.
And then it happened. My name announced as I crossed the finish line. I did it. I finished.
This year that mantra will be in full swing as this pregnant Momma tries competing in her third triathlon.
Finish!
Congratulations - that's quite an accomplishment! And you're right, you can't finish if you don't begin. I do the same thing, sometimes (definitely NOT triathloning, but...) - I only tell a few people what I've started because, well, maybe they'll judge me in some way. You're a good example of doing it anyway. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
ReplyDeleteGet it girl! Such an awesome accomplishment. Over visiting from FMF and inspired by your post.
ReplyDeleteWow! That is some kind of inspiration! I love it... and the widsom of just taking one step (or lap, or mile) at a time! We're neighbors over at Lisa-Jo's! So glad I stopped by!
ReplyDelete