Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Disciplining Children in Public

Recently I had a chat with a good friend of mine. We were chatting about how parenting in our society... well... sucks. Here's what we came up with in a nut shell.



1. If I'm disciplining my child I do not need your glare.
 Whether we are in public or at home our children need to behave. Consistency is sort of a big deal with parenting, no I'm not the best at it. But by George if we are in public and they are acting up I will discipline them if needed.

2. If I'm not disciplining my child I do not need your glare.
  Maybe I have an idea of what's going on a little better than you do. Maybe I have a plan. Back off.

3. If you are not a parent, no you do not know, do not "assist" with your comments.
 This is not your area of expertise, it just isn't. Just don't you are literally making yourself look like an ass. 

4. If you don't have kids, I'm not asking you to have them.
 Just because you don't have kids does not mean I look down on you or expect you to have kids. I ask in return that you don't look down on me for having kids or expect me to take your rude comments. 

5. I deserve dinner/movie/going out in public too.
  Yes, I take the boys to dinner and movies and out in public. No, they don't always act great.
- Eating out. You want me to leave because they aren't acting good. The truth is I want you to leave because you are a horrible example of an adult.
-Movies. I don't take the boys to movies that are rated above PG sometimes PG-13, depending. I usually don't go in the evenings BUT GASP we also have lives so yes sometimes we go out at night. I also thinks it's rude to talk in movies and play on your phone, maybe you shouldn't go to the movies.
-Being in public. Kids do act up but sheltering them from never going and experiencing new things is a travesty. Get over yourself.

* I recently read The No-Bullsh*t Goody Bag for Parents to Give Out on Planes. It gave me a good chuckle. It actually came up on my FaceBook news feed and the comments that were made on it, priceless.

6. Yes, I can hear/see what my child is doing.
 Maybe I'm ignoring them because I might lose my temper. Maybe I don't think they need to be pestered with. It's not your call. They literally are not hurting you. If you are that sensitive to people maybe you shouldn't go out in public. So stop.

7. Don't discipline them.
 So let me get this straight. You want them to behave but you don't want me to discipline them. BUT when they do act out you are going to be mad that they don't behave. Riiiiggghhhhttt.

8. Kids wrestle.
 They aren't trying to hurt each other... most of the time while wrestling. They wrestle for fun. I'd say boys wrestle each other more than girls but if a girl has a brother she probably knows a good head lock move too. If you don't know this then you should. By know this I mean you should know they like to wrestle and you should know a good head lock move.

9. Each child is different, so is disciplining them.
 Each child is unique. In turn each child will have to be disciplined differently. Just accept this as fact. Some techniques work well with one child and don't with another. Sometimes the method works for a while and then doesn't.

10. Piss off.
 If I'm giving you the piss off look. It literally means piss off. You're either a stranger or a friend. If you are a stranger take this look extremely literally and go away. If you are a friend, the look means I'm at my wits end give me a sec I need to handle this.


No comments:

Post a Comment