Friday, August 16, 2013

Small

I'm joining in on Lisa-Jo baker's 'Five Minute Friday'.
The rules are pretty simple. One word. Five minutes of writing. No editing.



Small

It was in the midst of a conversation relating to work, I stood there with my hands in my pocket. The German/Irish in me must talk with my hands and I went to emphasize a word or a sentence... or just emphasize a head nod. It caught me off guard. When I pulled my hand out there was a little toy.

Every morning in our made dash of getting ready for work/school/daycare inevitable something is grabbed from home that does not go to school or daycare and must stay in the car. Or in this case it made it to daycare and ended up in my pocket. It was a small toy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles plastic sai. You know that thing that Raphael uses, the red mask one, looks sort of like a pitch fork. I see you nodding now.

Toy, small, out of place that it was, it broke my heart.

I know how fast our boys are growing. Everyday there is a new stepping stone met that we jot down. It's the little things that I want to hold onto, to remember, to cherish. Sometimes though it's like walking from an air conditioned room to the blazing heat outside. When did this happen? When did my teething baby begin to play with Ninja Turtles?!

Sometimes it's just that little reminder that someone so small holds my whole heart and I hold his sai.


4 comments:

  1. Visiting from Five Minute Friday. I clicked your link because the Ninja Turtle picture caught my eye. We have the purple masked on at home. :)
    Your post brought tears to my eyes because I completely relate. I have two boys and we do the same morning dash with small items forever in my car, my pockets, and my purse. And while sometimes in the middle of a day times to be moving so slowly, there are those moments that throw you into the realization of how quickly it is actually going.
    Beautiful post! I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the description of walking out of AC into the heat of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. the impact of little things, little toys, they create big moments that no one else may understand. beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the comment above mine. Those little things can remind us of so much, including what holds our hearts. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete