Friday, December 6, 2013

Reflect

I'm joining in on Lisa-Jo baker's 'Five Minute Friday'.
The rules are pretty simple. One word. Five minutes of writing. No editing.

Reflect



So many memories and thoughts come flooding in when I hear the word reflect. Then I think deeper, to reflect on one moment, one memory, one thought, one emotion.

I type this all in front of our Christmas tree. In our home.

How did I get here?

I reflect on that so often sometimes. I'll be honest, sometimes I reflect on that question and I get mad. I get mad at my decisions my choices. Then I see the blessings, not on purpose. It's like a little part of me shows myself the gifts that all the winding roads have given me. I reflect on all my life obstacles, the choices that I made from them. No, they weren't all right but that's okay. What's done is done.

The beauty in the ugliness. That's what I see.

Yes.

I sit here in front of a Christmas tree that means nothing to the holiday that it is supposed to represent. A holiday that is for a King. A holiday that is to reflect the love, the kindness, the beauty in ugliness.

This tree. It has ornaments from so many years. It shows so many firsts, babies, house, marriage, dogs. It stands glowing with fresh memories. So many memories.


 

1 comment:

  1. I find myself battling our culture's demands to decorate with these non-related pieces and making sure my children understand the REAL reason we are celebrating this holiday. I love this post. I, too, have so many ugly things that brought me to where I am. Visiting from FMF :)

    ReplyDelete