Tuesday, September 9, 2014

That. Makes. Sense.

I was asked what I thought about Ray Rice and his 'punishment'. I'll be honest I had no idea who this Ray Rice was until I had to draft my fantasy football team. Then his story started to unfold. The slimmed down story that I was given was, he punched his then fiance. He got suspended from two games.

The football fan in me says... two games. There are players getting suspended for more games than that for smoking weed.

The domestic violence survivor in me says... she made it out.

With that last statement I was then informed that she was called a then fiance because she married him just a while after the incident.

Janay Palmer married Ray Rice. To a non domestic violence survivor the comment "How dumb is she?" runs rampant. To a domestic violence survivor though the only comment I can make is "Oh, that makes sense".

You heard me right... That. Makes. Sense.

I'm not sure I can put all the right words together for you. I still have terrifying nightmares of what I survived through. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to hash through all the emotion and jot it down. That's not this moment though.

For now, please watch this TED Talk video. Why Don't Domestic Violence Victims Leave?

When you read all the Facebook statuses or Tweets or other social media updates on Ray Rice and what's happening to him... just stop. It's not happening to him it's happening to her, Janay Palmer. She isn't just that girl who Ray Rice beat. She's part of a statistic now, one that I was once a part of. A statistic that leaves a mark on you for the rest of your life.

To me the NFL and the Ravens did a horrendous job in not dropping Ray Rice once all this was revealed. Now we are doing a horrible job in letting the light continue to shine on him. Take a look at her, her story, her life. Look at Janay Palmer in all these pictures that are being taken. This is a deep dark thing that has happened to her but yet we are bickering over a dudes football carrier.

Take a stand for Janay Palmer. 


2 comments:

  1. Hey, did you mean to write sense but are too dumb??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touché. I have made the update, thank you.

      Delete